This soup is jam packed full of goodness and sure you to warm you up on a cold winters day. The lentils give you that extra protein boost you need to keep you going until dinner! A wide variety of vegetables give your immune system a boost and the much needed carbs from the potatoes keeps you full and satisfied.
I have found that the trick to getting the tastiest vegetable soup is to slow cook for at least 45mins with the lid on and without actually boiling your vegetables. You get to keep more of the nutrients and a lot more of the flavour!
Bay leaves can also add a more pungent flavour to the soup.
Red Lentil and Vegetable soup
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 1 hr
3 cloves of garlic
2 sticks celery
1 cup of cauliflower
1 cup of broccoli
1 sweet potato
100g rinsed lentils
2 tbs sunflower or olive oil
2 veg stock cubes
1.5l of water
1 bay leaf (opt)
Salt and pepper for seasoning
1. Wash and roughly chop all the vegetables.
2. Add to a large saucepan with oil or sub for water. Fry off vegetables on a medium heat stirring continuously to ensure nothing sticks.
3. Boil 1.5 litres of water and add to the pan with veg stock and lentils.
4. Add bay leaves and seasoning, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
5. You can either eat straightaway or you can blend the soup. Make sure to remove the bay leaf.
Serve with homemade Oat cream. Get recipe here.
You can keep in the fridge for up to 3 days and frozen for up to 6 months.